Friday, May 26, 2006

Buttercups


Buttercups are going mad in the field next to the cut. I remember the riot of buttercups was one of the first things I noticed when I came to our village. It's amazing.

When I was a small boy grown ups were always poking buttercups under my chin and saying "I see he likes butter." I used to think this was particularly stupid - and still do as a matter of fact. Buttercups are the "cuckoo buds of yellow hue" from Shakespeare's "Daisies pied abd violets blue" poem. But really I just thought you'd like to see the picture of the horses grazing amid the buttercups. Oh there's some chestnut spikes in the background so a good chance of linking to "This is the weather the cuckoo likes" by Hardy.

Incidentally this site has a "Poem of the Day" page which is fun to look at though today's is a poem by Robert Service who wrote Desperate Dan McGrew I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home